How to increase the WPv6.0.1.1 default session timeout value?
suresh
2008-03-26 06:03:21 UTC
Hi,<br />
1. Please guide me on how to increase the websphere portal server default session timeout value. I want to increase the default session timeout value from 30 mins to 240 mins.<br />
2. Please let me now if i increase the session timeout value to 240 mins is there any impact in the portal server performance.<br />
I am using Websphere portal server v6.0.1.1<br />
Thanks,<br />
Suresh
Oliver Then
2008-03-26 06:20:02 UTC
You have to set the session timeout via the WAS admin console for the
"WebSphere Portal Server" server. This is described in the Application
Server InfoCenter
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.websphere.base.doc/info/aes/ae/uprs_rsession_manager.html

If you increase the HTTP Session timeout to 240 minutes, you have to be
aware that more sessions will be available in your memory. Normally the
sessions time out after 30 minutes of inactivity and thus get removed
from memory. If you increase the timeout value, your sessions will be
kept in memory for a longer period of time.

Oliver
Gabriel Boie
2008-03-26 14:32:40 UTC
Oliver has a god point. It is not recommended for a high traffic site
to keep that session for 240 minutes.
This will degrade performance. However, if you do not have too many
users and if your business requirement is to keep that session for 240
minutes, then there should be no problem.
Regards,
Gabriel
Oliver
Pavel B
2008-03-27 07:52:24 UTC
I have a question regarding keeping session alive for as long as LTPA
token is alive.
My situation is such that a I have one page in JSR168 JSF portlet
where user may
spend a lot of time. Default LTPA token session timeout is set to 4h,
Websphere
Portal session - 60 min, wps.ear - 30 min. What I am trying to do is
to make some
simple server pinging using ajax call . The problem is that I am not
quite sure
what page should be pinged. I've tried to ping some image resource
and servlet
from the same portlet. After 1h user was kicked to login page. When I
was trying
to call url taken from form action, session was alive but data
entered and submited
before was gone. I've heard that JSF has a feature called something
like form
double submission protection. So basically, calling asynchronously
form action
method would invalidate further submision made manually by user. What
I'm
currently trying to do is to ping any recource found in the theme or
simply access
any portal page which is mapped to some specific URL. This solution is
also under
question because I think that portlets and wps have different sessions
and it would
end that session again is preserved but without submitted data.
I would be really appreciated if anyone could give some any ideas
regarding my issue.

Pawel